QGIS is an application which can be highly customized, thanks to its plugin system. It is possible to adapt the graphical user interface ( menus, toolboxes, docks…), extend behaviours through various mechanisms, and create specific custom features with plugins and new processing algorithms.
QGIS is perfectly integrated with PostGIS, a spatial database allowing to embed numerous processing capabilities and GIS features. When fulfilling a specific need, we can delegate a lot of domain-specific data processing to the database :
- Behaviours are coded right with the data, and performances are better
- Maintenance and future evolutions are easier to code
- Development costs are reduced
Beyond a Desktop and Server GIS application, QGIS is also a real development platform.
It allows to create complete domain-specific applications, to process and render geospatial data.
Some examples of applications we already built with the QGIS platform :
- water and wastewater network management
- electricity network management
- natural gas network management
- cadaster management